Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Sabbath Or the Lord's Day - Which Do We Follow?

The Old Testament clearly states that the Sabbath is a day of rest and should be taken very seriously. Some Jewish followers believe that no work should be done at all on this day. I was listening to a program the other day, when they mentioned something that I found hard to believe or even imagine. Some of the followers of the Torah wouldn't even go to the bathroom on the Sabbath, I don't even know if I could do that. I would have to find another religion obviously to be a part of.

I worked on a Seventh-day Adventist church for about nine months one time and they worshiped on the Sabbath but rented the church on Sundays to a Pentecostal organization. (Pentecostals are also Christians) I found this hard to imagine, that a church so adamant about the Sabbath would let another church worship on Sunday.

Let me explain my thinking, if the Pentecostal church was worshiping on Sunday, that meant they were allowed to prepare for worship on Saturday and even work if necessary. If I strongly believed in my religion, it wouldn't make much sense for me to support another group who ignored the Sabbath. I ask the pastor of both churches, who I talked to on a regular basis, what their opinion's were on this topic.

The bottom line, was of course money. Hard to imagine that someone's religious beliefs can be altered or even changed completely if their monetary needs aren't met.

My grandmother and grandfather were very involved in their Christian Church and explained to me that Sunday was the Lord's Day but chose to ignore the Sabbath. My grandfather often worked six days a week and would take Sunday off, Sunday of course was an important day in his life, this was a holy day and he rarely missed worship.

For those of you who worship on Sunday, a.k.a. the Lord's Day, I would like to make a suggestion, try to do some research and find out why the Sabbath was switched to the Lord's Day. Here's something to start with.

Exodus 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.

For those of you interested in studying the Bible online, I would suggest that you type in," the Lord's Day" or "Sabbath" into one of my favorite Bible websites, Biblegateway and that's dot com. Remember not to do any web searches on the Sabbath. Hello I'm joking!

Spiritual Change Education

You are free to copy this article to your site as long as you include the following resource information with an active link to my site:

Greg Vanden Berge is a published author, internet marketing expert, motivational inspiration to millions of people all over the world and is sharing some of his wisdom with experts in the fields of writing,marketing, and personal development.

Greg is currently working on a self help library filled with great subjects on a wide array of topics, like religion, self help and spiritual changes in the world. His views on religious freedom are slowly changing the way people think about institutional religion.

Kathlyn Hendricks

No comments:

Post a Comment